whiskey and apples

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Mark David Ashworth



Mark Ashworth is an old-time crooner. And he got me into Violetta Parra, for which I still feel I owe him many beers. Mark's Austin-based band is called Ink, which is the four-piece incarnation of his songs, but I recently found one of his solo tracks that caught my ear.

Mark told me that he holed himself up and recorded this little number by himself recently, playing all the instruments and doing the backing vocals in the course of a day. Now I'm a fan of the darkness; I think it's where the good ideas come from. You can tell listening to this track that he got a little too close to the darkness, like when you go through the part in the haunted mansion at Disneyland where the ghosts are singing, "We tried and we failed." You know, when you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

The track begins simply enough with nylon strings and glockenspeil, but gets noisier and noiser, with Ashworth using his voice in the end as a hypnotic refrain.

The Garden - mp3

Hopefully this will be the first in a collection of these kinds of songs, because his voice really stands alone. To learn more, please visit Mark Ashworth's website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home