whiskey and apples

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Black Nasty, "Aids Can't Stop Me"



Black Nasty is one of those rare, important artists that comes along once a lifetime and wakes us all up to our decadence and self-delusion. I look back on my days at the 2001 World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa, where I and many other world leaders and men of influence would retire to the smoking room after a hard day of conferencing and discuss this young artist's importance to his generation.

Listen to Black Nasty here.

Like Bob Dylan before him, Black Nasty is a master at assimilating the history of songwriting and poetry into his art, leaving no stone unturned in his quest to better himself and raise the consciousness of the American youth. Classics like "Real Animal Lover" (including the refrain, "I want a zebra that's a Libra",) Aids Can't Stop Me ("when I drop acid you should call me Tron",) Rudy Huxtable, and of course, I Can't Leave His Behind hold a torch for us to follow into the future.

The finest (and most important) song on this record is undoubtedly "Bitch Named Frank." And I'm not just saying that because it's my personal favorite. I was educated at St. Edwards, so I think it's safe to say I know for emperically certain what the most important song by any given artist is. In a scholarly (and shocking) revalation about a well-documented historical figure, Nasty exposes this "innocent" girl as, "just a horny twelve year-old Germanic Jew, trying to get fucked before World War II." I don't want to give away the ending, it's too intense, but you will undoubtedly feel the weight and seriousness of this artist's vision, not to mention what a backbreaking amount of research he must have put into this work!

And then there's blacknasty.net. Go look at this picture for a second. Black Nasty has an upside-down cross prison tattoo on his forearm (he really does.) His penis is a gun that he's about to shoot a just-spanked girl in the ass with, and "Black Nasty" is written in blood on the wall.

Is that not the story of humankind?

The final masterstroke is his HI-5 music video. You will see the artist in his human form, bound by arms and legs just like the rest of us, though I feel his importance and scope is beyond human. It's meta-human, or as Nietzsche would undoubtedly put it (I went to St. Edwards, remember), more-than-human, uberhuman. If I were to paint Black Nasty, light would burst forth from the page, for my vision of Black Nasty cannot be contained by our eyes alone.

Support independent music and buy this record directly from the artist at blacknasty.net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home